View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Smiley Plates  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Norrlander

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Smiley Plates
« on: January 05, 2010, 12:00:37 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, been lurking here for a short while and really appreciate the knowledge on the forums and excellent articles on this site.
I've just bought a set of Fischer Europa 99's and I'll be mounting voile 3-pin cable bindings to use with the Garmont Venture boot.
I want to install Smiley plates on the bottoms of my boots for added security and durability, but I can't seem to find a retailer that sells these. I've read on other forums people suggest making them yourself, but I don't know if I'd go ahead with this unless I had a template (of some type) as well as a list of materials for instance proper metal and screw size.

Anyone know of a place that sells these, or if you have any experience in building your own?

Thanks.

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
Re: Smiley Plates
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 01:25:31 pm »
Ask on Teletalk on Telemarktips.com. Someone there should know. Unless the pin holes are chewed up on your boots, I wouldn't bother.

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 05:55:36 pm »
I haven't seen those around in a while. I suspect that, like most modern boots, yours have a metal plate insert in the toe area which should secure the three pins even if the rubber gets beaten up. The three pin cable is a nice set up.

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 01:27:54 am »
I did a search on TTips. The consensus on the latest thread is that commercially made smiley plates are history and that you'd have to make your own.

Offline PackRat

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 12:19:02 pm »
I was able to get some from Wasatch Touring last season. They don't list them on their site so you might need to contact them.

http://www.wasatchtouring.com/