View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Weather is bleak, snow is melting - Time to work on gear  (Read 2659 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Weather is bleak, snow is melting - Time to work on gear
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:43:32 pm »
Its been melting here in southern NW Ontario for a few days, and now its been raining all night and likely most of today.  Bleakness......bleak, bleak, bleak :'(   No real snow in the forecast either.   :'(

There is always next month!   :)    Maybe a good reason for me to get into the shop now and build those new toboggans, make the mods to my stoves, repair broken pieces of gear......to be ready for when winter comes back.   :)
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline into the wind

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Weather is bleak, snow is melting - Time to work on gear
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:44:29 pm »
I'm an hour or so south of Fort Francis and I-Falls. We are having the same weather here. It's supposed to cool down on Tues. If one wants to travel fast this may be the time. It should be very hard and speedy if not too slippery. Maybe a good time to get out those skis.

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 10:04:40 pm »
I was supposed to be away right now on an 8-9 night trip in Algonquin but postponed it due to the forcast thaw.  I'll be heading out on Tues. Feb. 2 to do the trip.  The 14 day forcast is looking very promising!  I am so pumped for this trip!

Take care,
Cousin Pete 
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

wooley

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:12:40 pm »
I look forward to your trip report...I am heading in for a week toward the end of Feb.

Good Luck with the weather!

MIKE

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:53:09 pm »
Hello wooley:  It is great to see another person from the Hammer as a member.  Check out the info section that HOOP put together.  It is very informative!  It changed my whole approach to winter trekking.  I hope that the  cold spell lasts for your trip at the end of Feb.  Make sure that you do a trip report as well.  It is really enjoyable reading about other people's experiences.

Take care,
Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

wooley

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 09:05:29 am »
Hi Cp

I suppose I should have used another thread to introduce myself first. I have been lurking here since the site began (took a while to come up with a decent handle ;) ), and I as well have changed my whole concept of winter camping because of it. I am "wooley" because of it ;D

Kudos to HOOP and the others on this site.