View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Advice on equipment  (Read 2390 times)

Offline dsgreen3

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Advice on equipment
« on: February 15, 2010, 06:45:25 pm »
I want to get into cross country skiing on the cheap. I have down hill skied for years, but it's getting too expensive. I've been looking on ebay and the for sale ads for used skis but I am not sure what would work best for me. I want to use NNN or NNNBC bindings and boots. most of the skiing that I intend to do would be breaking my own trails or using snowmobile tracks. I am 5'7" and about 230 lbs. I need the exercise that's for sure. being new I want to go wax less. Any advice on makes, models, sizes, cuts etc... would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on equipment
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:30:09 pm »
I would suggest you read the Backcountry ski section of this forum to become familiar with the variables involved, then post again telling us what kind of terrain you want to ski on, snow conditions you expect to encounter, and where on the continuum of maximum straight ahead speed vs. maxim turnability and control.

Offline taildragger

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 10:07:27 pm »
My advice is to go to your local thrift store and buy whatever they have - most likely waxless with three-pin boots.  I was in a thrift store in my town in the fall and they had at least a dozen pairs of cross country skiis.  You can get them cheap, see how you like them, and get more insight into what you might want to buy if you stick with it and decide to go more upscale.  In the meantime, I think it would take a rare beginner to be held back by basic used equipment.

Offline North61

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:49:43 am »
Finding three pin equipment is getting harder and harder.  You might find NNN easier.  That said buying used is the way to go.  No point spending money untill the fever has taken hold.  The reason CC gear is so cheap used is the number of buyers that went out once out twice and then never again.

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 05:29:57 pm »
This site hasn't been updated in quite a while, but the basic info should be helpful
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/dirtbag.html

For what you want, I'd look for a full metal edged shaped waxless ski, fairly wide.  I had a pair of Atomic Rainiers I just sold. Nice ski.  I had Voile 3 pin cable bindings on the Voile Release Kit and climbing skins. These skis are 88-60-78 so they turn nicely. I had a plastic boot-Garmin Excursion, but you don't need that burly a boot for flat stuff.

You can find end of season deals at Sierra Trading Post sometimes.  I got mine there a couple of years ago and they were really cheap. Try Craigslist and eBay, but watch out for shipping charges on eBay. Skis aren't cheap to ship.

You might want to read the earlier threads in this forum too-try this one

http://wintertrekking.com/index.php?topic=612.0
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:34:41 pm by Tomd »