View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: NW Ontario - Its Over  (Read 3042 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
NW Ontario - Its Over
« on: March 12, 2010, 01:44:34 pm »
Southern part of Northwestern Ontario:

-  Daytime temperatures for the past 3 weeks shockingly high, averaging about +5 to +10C, with spikes higher.  Setting records.
-  Nighttime temperatures not cold enough to stop the meltdown.
-  Rain storms during much of the 2nd week of March.
-  6 to 8 inches of water reported on top of the inland lake ice, and a panic to get the ice huts off the big fishing lakes.  My back yard is flooded.

Its over, and it was over last week.  I had to cancel my traditional 2nd week of March trek due to the soaking, slushy, rainy mess.     :(   Usually a glorious part of the season with long cool bright sunny days and deep cold nights, and good travelling snow.  Not this winter.

Shortest, worst winter I can remember.  I will try and pull together a National report from the Environment Canada weather service, and post a summary.  

I hope people got out anyways and took advantage of the unusually short winter.  There were some fine days, and pretty good ice conditions.  

There is always next winter..... :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:24:29 pm by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline FRANZENRP

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: NW Ontario - Its Over
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 01:55:40 pm »
I'll agree with you Hoop, it was apoor winter for trekking. We did a late January and a mid February trip into the BWCA and we had good conditions. The area had a lot of mid winter rain that made for some bad slush conditions. Temps were to warm for me, and as far as March goes its over. My March trip is cancelled lousy conditions. So its time to hang the sleds up take the backpack down for a early spring hike, and dust off the canoe. I'll be in the BWCA first of may on a solo trip.

Offline Clovishunter

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 07:04:03 pm »
Well look at it this way guys at least you had a winter we finally got snow enough to work with but alas it was gone in 4 days not much time to do anything except make a Quinzee hut in the back yard for practice lol!  Another year with no trails to dogsled, no trail to break on snowshoes! Every year its the same I say " maybe next year "

Offline lost_patrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 07:49:10 pm »
It's over down here too.  I've got one more weekend to spend before other commitments keep me home on weekends, and I think I'm going to spend it daytripping and planning things for next year's bug-free season.  I don't usually do that until the end of March, but here we are.
"Give me winter, give me dogs.  You can keep the rest."  - Knud Rasmussen
"Ride like you stole something." - Lance Armstrong

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 08:35:02 pm »
Good attitude Lost_Patrol.   With the ice still travel-able in many areas (although watch out for stream mouths and shoreline melting, and big spider holes that are melting from drain-in flow), you might be able to do a day-trip hike to scout some new routes and campsites.  You could travel very fast in the early AM on crust if it still exists.  Bring a pair of Yak Traks or equivalent boot grippers for booting it on ice, and strap your synthetic snowshoes to your pack.   Use the synthetics in the snowy patches if they are still there.   Goes without saying to bring ice picks of course if crossing ice.

Many of my winter treks have been scouted previously on long day trips with my skis.   I always bring a headlamp so the daylight is not a concern on my way out...although that said, I have always done these scouts with good ice.  You might want daylight on the return if you had decomposing ice to cross.

Hi Clovishunter,
Not "maybe" next year.....its "for sure" next year!    (I know, easier said than done.  My day job gets in the way all the time!   :)).   Next year for me is going to be epic, I swear.   I am getting older, and winters are getting shorter....running out of time.  Gotta get several more serious trekking trips in before I bump off and the world melts down.    :)
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Kevinkinney

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Empire Canvas Works
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:11:40 pm »
...I'm kinda enjoying the crop tops and ladies running in their shorts.

Institutio postulo novus informatio supersto
Proudly monkeying with tradition since 1967

www.empirecanvasworks.com