View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Just purchased and have a question...karhu kodiak edge  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Inabell

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Just purchased and have a question...karhu kodiak edge
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:02:52 pm »
I just bought a pair of used Karhu Kodiak Edge 210...they have a 3/4 steel edge and 3 pin bindings. I bought them used and pretty cheap and know nothing about them? Anyone used these? Might these be good candiates for berwin bindings and use with mukluks?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:04:54 pm by Inabell »

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Just purchased and have a question...karhu kodiak edge
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 08:21:29 pm »
Hi Inabell,

Were these the ones from Ebay on this sale?    http://cgi.ebay.ca/210-KARHU-KODIAK-EDGE-BC-XC-Skis-63-57-59-/230434618387

If so, looks like you got a great deal. 

These are an old model that I am not familiar with.   The minimal sidecut, length, and the claim of a XC camber (if indeed that stiff), makes that a very good looking trekking ski.  Not overly wide, so its likely a very fast ski in packed snow.   The extra length will do well in the deeper softer snow conditions too.  Good score!   Let us know how they perform.

The Berwins will fit just fine on those.  Berwins have a standard, or very close to standard 75mm screw mounting pattern, just like the 3-pins that are on them now.   

If you decide to mount the Berwins, if they are bang on the the 75mm screw holes, you might be able to mount them in the same holes.  You might want to refill with glue and filler, (like maybe a wood dowel, or steel wool shavings), and re-drill.   Binding screws (which have very wide threads for bite), are normally self-tapping, (except if there is a steel topsheet, although a binding screw in a small and properly sized hole can, I believe thread around the drill hole, so no need for tapping - your local ski mechanic may however have different advice).   

P.S.   With a big camber in unpacked snow, you will need skins.   All skis regardless of camber need skins for trekking in many snow unpacked conditions.  So keep an eye out for a good deal on skins for those nice looking skis!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:27:02 pm by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Inabell

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 09:28:56 pm »
Thank you for the reply, Hoop.

I did buy these on ebay. I have to decide if I should buy ski boots or go with berwin bindings.

Offline yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 06:22:22 am »
Some of the Karhus have foam cores, not wood. If this ski does I am not sure the standard technique Hoop mentions would be ok for filling the holes. Suggest asking a ski shop for strategy.