View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Inuvik Spring Skiing  (Read 2106 times)

Offline North61

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Inuvik Spring Skiing
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:02:36 pm »
Best April skiing anywhere!  Easter Day..fantastic.  Features the Optimus 00, a great classic kerosene stove.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYU7aAxf8Ko

Offline cousin Pete

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Inuvik Spring Skiing
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 10:19:01 pm »
Congrats on still being able to ski.  Nice looking trail.  Happy Easter!!

Take care,
Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:34:11 am »
Hi North61,

Great looking landscape there.   And still good snow and ice!   Us southerners are so jealous!   Our spring skiing around here was toast back in early March (in the rain  :( ), where the klister season started way to early.  I wish I lived in or beside the "land of little sticks", that beautiful open taiga country, where you can travel cross country, but always have firewood (and longer winters of course  :) )

You like old brass stoves, don't you!   ;)  

While you were skiing on the long weekend, I did an overnight hike (no snow) on a trail on the north shore of Superior.  No snow at all in the bush, and seasonally we are several weeks ahead of schedule.   Rotten "ice" (mush) on the lakes with open patches.   In the valley I camped in, the ground was still frozen an inch down - had to drive the tent pegs in with an axe.   No bugs which is nice.  

Looking forward to your ongoing video productions, bringing us images of the winter life north of 61  :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:18:50 pm by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline North61

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:30:24 pm »
well we do have a fair amount of winter up here!