View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Spot X - First Look  (Read 1444 times)

Offline gnatwest

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: Spot X - First Look
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 04:19:54 pm »
My InReach is completely stand alone.  You have the option of blue tooth to a phone, this makes typing easier because the keyboard on a phone is nicer.  I have never actually used this feature in the field. 

I only take my InReach and use the built in keyboard to send messages.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 07:10:41 pm »
That on screen keyboard is way too small for me. I make enough errors on my iPhone. Those virtual keys would drive me nuts.
www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 08:54:08 pm »
You know what guys, they are both good products.  I have used both globalstar & iridium phone networks.  All Satellite phones (& devices) have limits.  I have had good and crappy calls with both networks.

When it comes to these messengers do your homework on what will work for you, and like what you own.  Look at the coverages, plans and hardware costs and pull the trigger.

If you select the right device for your needs the odds are you will be happy with your spend.

BV's point was the speed of a real world test.  All four of us were actually surprised at how quick it happened.  We are all of the rotary phone age so this shit is still cool!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline gnatwest

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 08:46:43 am »
You know what guys, they are both good products.  I have used both globalstar & iridium phone networks.  All Satellite phones (& devices) have limits.  I have had good and crappy calls with both networks.

When it comes to these messengers do your homework on what will work for you, and like what you own.  Look at the coverages, plans and hardware costs and pull the trigger.

If you select the right device for your needs the odds are you will be happy with your spend.

BV's point was the speed of a real world test.  All four of us were actually surprised at how quick it happened.  We are all of the rotary phone age so this shit is still cool!

I agree 100%.  I thought I read that someone thought a cell phone was required to use the device.  I just wanted to clear up that it was not.  BV is right that the screen is rough for typing messages on the inReach I have, but I am so far very happy with its service.

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 08:40:33 pm »
I have had a SPOT Gen 3 beacon for about 5 years and it is OK. But a newer Garmin In-Reach Mini is about the best beacon these days.

Eric B.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Today at 01:21:54 am »
I've used most of them, from first gen spot to las gen inreach with iridium and global star sat phone in between.... They all work up here, some better than others, the spot is ok but can take a lot of time before your get a signal, the global star phone are more miss than hit up here, most if not every people have given up on them. The Iridium is by far the most reliable up here in the sat phone department, but you will still get cut and sometime not get anything(rarely but it happen). Since my last post on this thread, we got rid of our Iridium plan, too expensive to keep it going all year around when you live up here(different for down south). So now it is only inreach and 99percent of the time sync with our phone, takes no time, super easy and makes life so much easier... The beauty of the inreach is you can communicate between two device while in the bush, and that can come quite handy in some situations!!
Can't wait for the day that you will be able to use your cell phone sync to your inreach and be able to talk to someone live!!

Offline memaquay

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Today at 06:56:46 am »
Pretty much the same experience here.  I have used most services, and have finally ended up with the In reach.  It's flexible plan and easy two way communication make it the best value out there.  However, pairing it with your phone is a must if you are going to send actual messages.  As a side note, the mapping software that comes with the earthmate app for your phone has gps capabilities.  I thought it would only work while in cell range, but tried it out in the bush the other day, and the map and my location popped up very quickly on my phone.  The maps were of a better quality than the ones on my actual GPS.